I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of all these ‘uplifting’ articles listing ways to get over a breakup and move on with your life. They paint such a simple picture. They don’t look at the day after. They don’t address fresh breakups. I’m no expert, but here is my realistic breakup advice.
- Wear black mascara, the kind that’s not waterproof. It will remind you to stop weeping in public. When you come home, cry it off and forget your makeup remover.
- Ask your friends about heartbreak. Their stories are probably worse than yours. Perhaps, they already had the wedding dress.
- Ask questions about anything but love, and listen to the answers. Get absorbed in someone else’s life.
- Smile even though you are crying inside. It’ll make you feel better…..temporarily.
- Stop worrying about what others think of you, and dare to cry a little bit in public…. then avoid eye contact.
- Be prepared for some sympathetic looks from strangers. They might not know what to make of your puffy, red eyes.
- Eat some chocolate, and indulge in comfort food.
- Get some exercise. Worry about sweat getting in your eyes, and not tears falling from them.
- Get outside. Open your eyes to the world around you. It doesn’t stop.
- Put those yoga classes to the test, and practice some deep breathing.
- Get a beauty makeover.
- Remember that everything is temporary. The pain that you are feeling won’t last forever.
I’m no expert, but these are some tricks I’ve put to the test. Getting over someone you love is never easy. Moving on is never easy. After a fresh breakup you might be in a mental fog, but with this realistic advice, you might feel a little better, and still feel the sunshine through the clouds.